In 1981, SENG established guidelines for SENG-Model Parent Support Groups. SENG Model Parent Groups are structured to bring together 10 to 20 interested parents of gifted and talented children to discuss such topics as motivation, discipline, stress management, and peer relationships. The co-facilitators of the group, though they are knowledgeable about parenting and about educating gifted/talented children, do not attempt to give expert advice to families. Instead their facilitation provides a non-judgmental and nurturing atmosphere. The parents of the high ability children are themselves a rich resource of information, and they are able to get fresh ideas from other parents and from A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children, the book around which the sessions are organized. The groups meet weekly for approximately 8-10 weeks.
(Gifted Parent Groups: The SENG Model, 2nd Edition, 2007, p. x-xi)
Objectives of SENG Model Parent Groups
- Establish an environment in which facilitators provide support and guidance, so parents of talented children can interact and learn from each other.
- Increase parents’ awareness that talented children and their families have special emotional needs.
- Develop parenting skills for nurturing the emotional development of talented children.
- Provide parents with materials to enhance understanding of:
- Characteristics of high potential children.
- Programs and opportunities for talented children.
- Relevant books and professional organizations.
- Referrals for more in-depth professional assistance.
- Encourage parent involvement in and support of appropriate educational opportunities.
(Gifted Parent Groups: The SENG Model, 2nd Edition, 2007, p. 6)
Finding a Group Near You
If you’re interested in finding a group near you, please access the SMPG Facilitator Directory for a facilitator near you. You may also contact us with your city and zip code, and we will try to put you in touch with a trained facilitator near your community. Upcoming groups are listed on our Group Directory Page.
Starting a Group
If you want to start your own SENG-Model group, you need to be trained as a facilitator! Please see our training page or contact us and we will be happy to put you in contact with a trainer in your region, with whom you can discuss the possibility of setting up a future session, and who can also answer all of your questions about the model and the process.
SENG Online Parent Support Groups
If you can’t find a live group in your area, you can join one of SENG’s Online Parent Support Groups. SENG Online Parent Support Groups bring 10 to 15 interested parents of gifted children together to discuss such topics as communication, motivation, discipline, intensity, perfectionism, and peer relationships. The online facilitator of the group is knowledgeable about parenting and about educating gifted children. The facilitator provides a non-judgmental and nurturing online discussion. The parents of the high-ability children are themselves also a rich resource of information, and they are able to get fresh ideas from other parents and from A Parent’s Guide to Gifted Children, the book around which the discussions are organized. For more information, or to join the next online group, visit the SENG Online Parent Support Groups Page.